Friday, July 11, 2008

Fauna

I rode an elephant today. I can't post the pictures now because my connection's too slow, but it was an amazingly beautiful animal. At the end of the ride, the keepers told me five hundred rupees, which is roughly twelve bucks. I quickly forked it over, ecstatic from the experience, but Sonu started speaking in Hindi to the keepers. He talked a bit agitatedly for a while, then motioned to me that we should go. "That's too much," he said. "Five hundred rupees too much."

He was trying to get some of my money back from the men. I told him it was okay and that I didn't mind paying that much to ride an elephant.

On our way back to the car, little chipmunks crossed our path left and right. They're blonder than our chipmunks, but otherwise exactly the same. So are the pigeons. Chipmunks and pigeons are ubiquitous.

As we walked around in the park, I wondered why I hadn't seen any lizards. I thought they mustn't have them here until I was in my room typing and a little pink and green hued guy scrambled right into my room through the crack in the door.

I realize some people might have been upset by such an occurance, but I was happy to have this guest. Lizards eat bugs, plus they're cute. He only stayed for a minute before exiting the same way he came in. As far as I'm concerned, he's welcome back anytime.

No comments: