Thursday, May 1, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my first blog. A milestone. I'm setting this up to chronicle what will be another milestone for me: my first experience living overseas thanks to Pearson's New Directions program.

New Directions is a program sponsored out of Pearson headquarters in London wherein employees accept short-term international work assignments with the purpose of increasing communication across disparate Pearson businesses (from South Africa to Hong Kong to India) and developing Pearson's people. Priority is placed on moving from established markets like those in the UK and US to the emerging markets in the places I mention above.

You can learn more about the program at: http://www.newdirections.pearson.com/

After hearing Marjorie Scardino discuss New Directions at a talk she gave in Iowa on March 26th, I hurriedly and enthusiastically sought out the website and filled out an application.

Just about a month later, I have accepted a three-month assignment as a development editor in New Delhi, India, and the proverbial ball is rolling through the many tasks that have to be completed in order to make this assignment happen.

I'm working with HR in Iowa, HR in New Delhi and the New Directions representatives from London. This is truly a global experience even before it officially begins.

I have much to read about India, much to do to get ready and, I'm sure, much more to say. So stay tuned to learn more about how this amazing program works and to share my Indian adventure.

Namaste!

3 comments:

Pat Clark said...

Vicki: Let me be the first to congratulate you on your "New Direction". What a wonderful opportunity for you.

I have several folks from India working on my team. I would be happy to hook you up with one of them to help you with your travel preparations. Just let me know.

Happy Trails!!
Pat Clark (alias the "old" boss)
Telcordia Technologies
Huntsville, Alabama

Michael Witt said...

Vicki, congrats on your new assignment and welcome to the blogsphere! Most of my graduate students are Indian, and I enjoy hearing about their culture and experiences in our work together. If you had any particular questions, feel free to contact me and I can ask them. Good luck!

Michael Witt

Me said...

Yay!! We'll all miss you, but at least we've got a good blog connection to keep in touch. In case you forgot, my (non-wedding) blog's at:

Side Notes